01 November 2008

The Kalina's take on Amsterdam


Hello dedicated readers and people who have nothing better to do. Last week I was fortunate to have my parents and brother fly out here to see what it's all about. We had a blast. We were able to hit up all of the local hotspots: Anne Frank, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, the markets, the Jewish Historical Museum, the Red Light District, the pubs, the coffeeshops and we even had enough time to go on an excursion outside the city of Amsterdam to various fishing towns, a cheese farm and some place with lots of windmills. We also had an excellent diet as we ate from all of the major food groups: Dutch, Italian, Argentinian, Chinese, and of course, the bakeries. This is making me hungry.

It's Saturday afternoon and I have a lot going on. John and Dave arrive in Amsterdam today. I'm going to meet them at their hotel shortly. My friend Bryan from Marist is currently visiting, he's actually asleep on the couch right now. As expected October flew by. It's just one thing after the other. My parents were here from last Wednesday-Sunday, Bryan arrived Tuesday and is here until Monday, John and Dave arrive today for a few days and then Thursday I'm off to Prague. Life's tough huh?

All in all, everything is just going by so fast. I'm trying my best to keep up and take in everything. Tonight there is a big event in Amsterdam called Museumnacht. It is difficult to describe so I'll just quote the handbook: "On Saturday the 1st of November 2008 Amsterdam will celebrate Museum Night. For the ninth year in a row 41 museums and institutions will open their doors and organize special events. The programme includes DJ's, bands, dance performances, film, food & drinks amongst the permanent and temporary exhibitions of the museums themselves." I'm not sure exactly what to expect but it sounds pretty cool so I'll let you know how it goes. I have updated the pictures on my other website so go check them out at http://community.webshots.com/user/bkalina.

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Colleen Callahan said...

Brian I think I need to stop reading your blog because I am getting too jealous!!

Oh and I think I know what your talking about with the Museum night. In Madrid it was called "Noche en Blanco" and all the museums and stuff were open for free really late. But I didn't realize that the Spanish would take it as an excuse to party in the streets. It was ridiculous and all the streets were closed because they were literally filled with cars. Hopefully Amsterdam is as much fun, which I don't doubt.

Anyway enjoy every minute!! Talk to you soon!

susie said...

Hey Brian,
So glad you're aok since haven't heard from you and I was afraid you were so lonely and depressed that you couldn't leave your apartment and we were going to need to send help.

Just kidding, of course. I'm so glad to hear what an awesome time. Colleen said it so well...'enjoy every minute'.

See you soon, dude.

Love Susie

Bryan said...

since when do you call me Bryan?

susie said...

I saw John's pictures and need to know one thing.....are you always stoned in Amsterdam????

Enjoy, dude...

Love you,
Susie

http://www.marlenelondon.com said...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I can't figure out where the pictures from your parents trip are!!!! Help! Sounds awesome.

Hey, my favorite painter has always been Vermeer. Can you go to his house? Take pictures? He painted a small amount of paintings .. ever hear of the painting, book, and movie "The Girl with the Pearl Earring?" That was Vemeer. All i know is that he lived in Amsterdam, over a little bridge. Would a Vermeer key change be tacky? lol

I am so happy for you.