06 October 2008

My Trip To Belgium

Waffles, chocolate and beer. That is what Belgium is known for and for good reason. I woke up bright and early on Saturday and hopped on a 9 o'clock bus headed towards Brussels, Belgium. I went with two friends that are in my program here in Amsterdam named Chris and Gin. We had a hostel booked for us for Saturday night but other than that, we really had no idea what we were going to do. Despite our lack of Belgian knowledge we had a great time!

The bus ride was 3.5 hours so by 1 o'clock we were roaming the streets of Brussels. It was a very cool city. The architecture was absolutely ridiculous. I'm not even going to try to justify the detail that was put into some of the buildings, you'll just have to look at my pictures (they'll be up shortly). We saw the Grand Place, the Royal Palace, some giant cathedral and the Justice Palace among many other breathtaking sights. We wandered around trying various Belgian beers all of which were soooo good. The Stella Artois we had there could give any beer in the world a run for its money (and it was cheap too).

Sunday morning we woke up and had a famous Belgian waffle. Mine had whipped cream and chocolate sauce on it. It basically tasted like I was eating heaven. We wandered around for a couple more hours in the pouring rain and saw some more really cool buildings. I can't say enough about the architecture in this city. We then picked up some of those famous chocolates to bring back and caught a 6:30 bus back to the 'Dam. All three of us were talking about how cool it is that we get to go home to Amsterdam. We were disappointed to leave Brussels, but we got over it pretty quickly. So now it's back to reality and I have a ton of work to do because I have a special visitor coming this weekend.

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

My pictures are now up at http://community.webshots.com/album/567738502RhEhiv

No comments: